Sharing Our Ministry
The Mission of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Rochester, Minnesota, is to be a compassionate presence for peace in our world, striving for justice and reverence for all creation.
We do this by:
- Praying for the needs of our world in the silence of the chapel and daily in our homes.
- Ministering in hospitals and hospices.
- Eliminating social injustice: providing support to immigrants and working to end human trafficking.
- Volunteering at Dorothy Day Centers and social agencies in our local communities.
- Ministering to those with addictions and those imprisoned.
- Providing education in schools and serving as spiritual guides.
Your generosity allows us to continue these ministries as well as maintaining our home, Assisi Heights, which provides care for our retired Sisters. In addition, we welcome hundreds of people each year, who come to Lourdes Chapel for prayer, liturgy and reflection, or to Assisi Heights Spirituality Center for educational programs or retreats.
If you have any questions, please contact June Howard, Director of Mission Advancement, at 507-282-7441, ext. 536 or via email.
Mission Advancement staff shown above: June Howard (top) and Kim Jaworski (bottom).
Memorial and Honorary Gift Opportunities
Do you have a family member or friend whose life has been touched by the Sisters of Saint Francis? If so, we hope you will consider offering a gift in honor of that person.
Offering a gift establishes a living tribute that will allow you to:
- Honor a loved one as a birthday remembrance, anniversary, memorial.
- Support our Sisters in their continuing efforts to be peacemakers, to strive for justice and reverence for all of creation.
Consider the following methods of establishing an honorary gift:
- Giving today – An outright gift can help fund our immediate needs or an ongoing project at Assisi Heights or our Sisters in their ministries. The financial benefits include an income tax deduction.
- Giving through your will – You can include a bequest in your will stating that a specific asset, certain dollar amount or, more commonly, a percentage of your estate will pass to us at your death in honor of your loved one. You can also make a gift at death using retirement plan assets.
Ways to Give
With our secure payment system, you can make a donation online by filling out a simple form. Please click on the button below to go to the donate online page.
Memorial or Honoree Gifts & Gifts in Kind
A memorial gift in memory of a deceased person, or a tribute gift to honor someone on a special occasion, is a wonderful way to celebrate the life and friendship of a loved one. You can also share your enjoyment of a collection or other personal item, which is related to our religious, educational or charitable works. You can receive a charitable deduction based on the full fair market value of your gift.
Remember Us In Your Will
The Sisters of Saint Francis invite you to consider remembering us in your will, living trust or a charitable bequest. Charitable bequests offer simplicity in just a few sentences. Share the sample bequest language for Sisters of Saint Francis with your estate-planning attorney:
“[Name], of [City, State, ZIP] give, devise and bequeath to Sisters of Saint Francis, [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] for its unrestricted use and purpose.”
We understand your circumstances may change and you can change your gift at any time. When planning a future gift, it is sometimes difficult to determine what size donation will make sense. Emergencies happen, and you need to make sure your family is financially taken care of first. Including a bequest of a percentage of your estate ensures that your gift will remain proportionate no matter how your estate’s value fluctuates over the years.
Please note: This information is not intended as Legal or Tax advice. For Legal or Tax advice, please consult an attorney.
Join the Mother Alfred Legacy Society
Named after the Foundress of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Rochester, Minnesota, the Mother Alfred Legacy Society honors those individuals and families who value the mission of the Sisters of Saint Francis and their continuance into the future. Mother Alfred Legacy Society Members are those who have remembered the Sisters of Saint Francis in their wills or estate plans.
Become a Franciscan Friend
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of it capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes
Sisters of Saint Francis, Rochester MN
GIFT ACCEPTANCE POLICY
This policy serves as a guideline to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes involved with accepting gifts to outside advisors who assist in the gift planning process, and to prospective donors who wish to make gifts to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. This policy is intended to be used only as a guide and allows for flexibility on a case-by-case basis.
2. Adherence To Ethical Fund Raising Practices
The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes has, among its primary objectives, the privilege of working with donors who wish to make contributions that will satisfy their charitable giving intentions. The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes and its Development Office will not support techniques and practices that use undue persuasion upon their donors. Further, representatives of the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes will not take advantage of any donor’s incapacity or inability to fully understand the nature of any gift they are contemplating.
3. Use of Legal Counsel
All prospective donors will be encouraged to seek professional counsel regarding a planned gift to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. They will have their advisors review all proposals and illustrations presented to them. Gift annuity illustrations will always include a disclaimer encouraging the prospective donor to seek independent advice and reminding them of the irrevocable nature of their contribution.
4. Gifts of Cash
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes shall accept all gifts by check regardless of amount. There may be instances where the donor’s ability is in question, or there may be a question about the amount of the gift being appropriate given their apparent means. In such instances, the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes Development Office staff will make a reasonable effort to contact the donor to determine whether to accept the gift.
- Checks shall be made payable to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes and may designate a particular program or project of the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. In no event shall a check be payable to an individual who represents the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes.
- A receipt shall accompany any donation of cash made to a representative of the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. This receipt should be signed and indicate the amount of the gift, date it was made and that no goods or services were given in exchange for the contribution.
- Pledges may be payable in a single or multiple installments.
5. Publicly Traded Securities
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes can accept readily marketable securities, such as those traded on a stock exchange.
- For the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes gift crediting and accounting purposes, the value of the securities is the average of the high and low on the date of the gift. Wherever possible, the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes Development staff will complete the designated IRS form with as much information as is possible from the donor.
6. Closely Held Securities
- Non-publicly traded securities may be accepted after consultation with the Treasurer’s office and/or legal councel.
- Prior to acceptance, the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes shall explore methods of liquidation for the securities through redemption or sale. A representative of the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes shall try to contact the corporation to determine:
- An estimate of fair market value
- Any restrictions on transfer
- No commitment for repurchase of closely held securities shall be made prior to completion of the gift of the securities.
7. Real Estate
- Gifts of real estate must be reviewed by the Academy Board of the Congregation before acceptance. The Academy Board will give consideration to the following:
- Maintenance costs
- Real estate taxes
- Real estate broker’s commission and other costs of sale
- Appraisal costs
- Prior to presentation to the Academy Board, the donor must provide the following documents:
- Real estate deed
- Real estate tax bill
- Plot plan
- Substantiation of zoning status
- For the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes gift crediting and accounting purposes, the value of the gift is the appraised value of the real estate. (Note: A nonprofit can choose to exclude from the value of the gift costs for maintenance, insurance, real estate taxes, broker’s commission, and other expenses of sale.)
8. Life Insurance
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes will accept life insurance policies as gifts only when the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes is named as the sole owner and 100% beneficiary of the policy.
- If the policy is a paid-up policy, the value of the gift for the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes gift crediting and accounting purposes is the policy’s replacement cost.
- If the policy is partially paid up, the value of the gift for the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes gift crediting and accounting purposes in the policy’s cash surrender value. (Note: For IRS purposes, the donor’s charitable income tax deduction is equal to the interpolated terminal reserve, which is an amount slightly in excess of the cash surrender value.)
9. Tangible Personal Property
- Gifts of tangible personal property to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes should have a use related to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes exempt purpose.
- Gifts of artwork, collections, equipment, and software shall be accepted at the discretion of the Director of Development in consultation with the Treasurer after approval by the Academy Board.
- No property that requires special display facilities or security measures shall be accepted by the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes without consultation with the Academy Board.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes adheres to all IRS requirements related to disposing gifts of tangible personal property and filing appropriate forms.
Planned Gifts –
The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes offers the following planned gift options:
- Charitable gift annuities
- Deferred gift annuities
- Charitable remainder trusts
- Retained life estates
§ Charitable Gift Annuities
- Administrative fees shall be paid from the income earned on the charitable gift.
- There shall be no more than two beneficiaries on a charitable gift annuity.
- The minimum gift accepted to establish a charitable gift annuity is $1,000.
- No primary income beneficiary for a charitable gift annuity shall be younger than 55 years of age.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes sets a rate scale for the charitable gift annuities based on the consultation with the Treasurer and the Director of Development. Recommendations are then made to the President and the Academy Board for review and approval.
- No Planned Giving or Development Officer will be authorized to offer a rate differing from the published rate schedule without express approval from the President and the Treasurer and only after discussion with the Director of the Development.
§ Deferred Gift Annuities
- Administrative fees shall be paid from the income earned on the charitable gift.
- There shall be no more than two beneficiaries on a deferred gift annuity.
- The minimum gift accepted to establish a deferred gift annuity is $5,000.
- No income beneficiary for a deferred gift annuity shall be younger than 30 years old.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes sets a rate scale for the charitable gift annuities that they offer based on consultation with their Treasurer and Director of Development. Recommendations are then made to the President and the Academy Board for review and approval.
§ Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Due to the cost of drafting and administration, the minimum to establish charitable remainder trust is $100,000.
- Management fees for the administration of a charitable remainder trust when the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes is named as trustee or co- trustee shall be paid from the income of the trust.
- Investment of a charitable remainder trust shall be determined by the fiduciary hired to manage the trust. No representations shall be made by an Academy employee or person acting on behalf of the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes as to the management or investment of such charitable remainder trust.
- The payout rate of a charitable remainder trust shall be determined in consultation with the donor and the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes investment advisor. By law, the payout rate cannot be lower than 5%. The payout rate shall be negotiated between the donor and the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes and shall reflect the number of beneficiaries, their ages and the size of the trust.
- Assets transferred through bequests that have immediate value to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes or that can be liquidated shall be encouraged by the Development Office staff. Gifts that appear to require more cost than benefit shall be discouraged or rejected.
- Donors who have indicated that they have made a bequest to the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes may, depending upon the individual situation, be asked to disclose this bequest in writing or by a copy of the will or request at least the relevant clause that benefits the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes as evidence of the gift. This information is used for internal financial purposes and is not binding on the donor. The information shall be kept in the strictest confidence.
§ Administrative Issue
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes shall not act as executor (personal representative) for a donor’s estate.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes may act as co-trustee on a charitable remainder trust, when the trust names the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes as a beneficiary of 50% or more of the trust.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes will pay for the drafting of legal documents for a charitable remainder trust when the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes is named as beneficiary of 50% or more of the trust. The donor’s own counsel must review the documents at the donor’s cost.